View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 14, 2022, 09:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Affect The Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll only add that I don't see evidence in the OP that the cheerleader's actions affected the shooter. "B team cheerleaders enter the floor at division line as A1 is in his shooting motion"
Agree, but what if they do affect the shooter. Possibly with loud music playing (not permitted at this time), or cheerleaders (of either team) doing somersaults within the peripheral vision of the shooter (on the court, also not permitted at this time). Ah, there's the rub.

While I disagree with Nevadaref (though he sets up a good argument) I do not take the same approach as BryanV21. I am not calling cheerleaders bench personal, nor am I calling them opponents, nor am I evoking the free throw distraction rule (I could explain this to a coach without using the word "distraction"). I am evoking two stand alone rules, 2-3 (points not specifically covered in the rules) and 4-20 (unhindered try).

If there was loud music playing and cheerleaders (of either team) were doing somersaults and forming pyramids within the peripheral vision of the shooter, I would not consider that to be "unhindered", as the intent and purpose of the rule stipulates.

However, if a few cheerleaders were simply barely on the court milling around at the division line, I'm not sure that I would consider that hindering.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 14, 2022 at 09:20am.