View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 11, 2022, 10:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheerleaders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
... B1 fouls A1 during a shot right at the 1st QTR buzzer, my whistle and the horn are damn near on top of each other; my partner and I talk, clear the lanes for 2FTs by A1 with 0:00 on clock; I report to the table and share info with coaches; partner administers FTs but B team cheerleaders enter the floor at division line as A1 is in his shooting motion; he misses the shot, cheerleaders are then removed; he makes the 2nd shot and heads back to his bench; my partner and I talk again and agree we need to provide A1 with another FT as first FT took place with illegal personnel on the floor; we talk to both coaches and A1 makes the FT ...
The usual debate on the Forum regarding free throw distraction has been about opponents (bench versus five players), not fans.

I consider cheerleaders fans (with rare exception, i.e., megaphones).

Doesn't matter if they're home or visitor, they aren't opponents.

Since this is not specifically covered in the rules:

2-3: The referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.

Let the referee decide if the free throw shooter was really distracted (hindered) by the cheerleaders (fans) on the playing court and rule accordingly.

4-20: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal ...

What would we would normally do regarding any "possible" free throw distraction? It's a judgment call.

The fans in the bleachers can distract all they want at the discretion of game management, but once the fans (including cheerleaders) come onto the playing court, that becomes our problem to deal with.

In regard to the order of the free throws. Ruling, or not ruling, distraction is not a correctable error situation, but I believe that this situation would also fall under 2-3.

Also:

2-13: If the red light fails to illuminate and the timer’s signal fails to sound, or is not recognized by the officials, the timer must go onto the court or use other means to immediately notify the nearest official. If in the meantime, a goal has been made or a foul has occurred, the referee must consult the timer:
ART. 2 If table officials agree that the quarter or extra period ended, as in 5-6-2 before the foul occurred, the foul must be disregarded, unless it was intentional or flagrant.
ART. 3 If table officials disagree, the goal must count and/or the foul must be penalized, unless the referee has knowledge which alters such ruling.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 12, 2022 at 09:24am.