View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 06, 2022, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shortened Quarter Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There are no rules to govern such a game in basketball, as there is in football, where “running time” is invoked once a team is far ahead, or baseball/softball, where there is a “mercy rule” to end a game early.
While Connecticut doesn't have a "running time" rule, there is a NFHS rule that can be utilized.

5-5-3: A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. NOTE: A state association by adoption may institute a running clock when a specified point differential is reached at a specified time in the game.

Used this obscure rule once in my forty-year career. Brand new magnet school's first year of varsity basketball against a state powerhouse. Magnet school didn't even have their own gym, games and practices in a middle school gym. Magnet school coach just wanted the game to be over and get out of Dodge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 06, 2022 at 01:49pm.