View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2022, 03:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Instinct ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I will never just stand back and take numbers.
Don't know if it's the human in me, the father in me, the teacher in me, or the coach in me, but me too.

At the minimum I'm trying to stand between the fighters, even if they make slight contact with me (not me with them), and sounding my whistle as loud as I can.

I will try not to to hold any players. We had an official do that many years ago, allowing an opponent got a "free shot" and "cold cocking" the held player, breaking the held player's jaw. Official ended up getting sued by parents of held broken jaw player. Also had to deal with a criminal assault charge. Very messy, in the criminal court and civil court for a couple of years. Lots of billable hours.

As a teacher we were told that it we didn't do anything to (reasonably) physically break up a fight between students that we could be sued for negligence if a student got severely hurt due to our inaction (something about the legal term in loco parentis).

Of course it we did physically intercede, and if a student got severely hurt as a result of our actions we could also get sued for our actions.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 06, 2022 at 01:45pm.