View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2021, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Separate Issues ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sounds like this is the semantics of the rule. Did the officials make a mistake or did the table not properly award a 3 point shot?
There are a few separate issues here.

First, two points or three points for a "pass" from behind the three point arc that goes in? I can't speak for the NCAA, but it's three points in "modern" NFHS rules. If that rule is inadvertently set aside (misapplied) and the officials do not signal the three point "touchdown" signal, then we move onto the second issue.

Failing to signal the three point "touchdown" signal due to an inadvertently set aside (misapplied) rule is a correctable error situation that falls under the usual constraints and time frame restrictions of the correctable error rule.

On the other hand, if the officials did signal the three point "touchdown" signal, and the scorekeeper unilaterally decided, incorrectly due to his unfamiliarity with the rule, to mark two points instead of three points, that's a bookkeeping error that can be corrected up until the officials jurisdiction ends (NFHS).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)