View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2021, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Note: Unintentionally added for clarity.

I'm deleting the above statement, that was very recent addition to the list, and not fully peer reviewed.

While it may be true, if I can't explain it to a coach, I'm probably not calling it, and I'm definitively not putting this statement in writing for a list that's supposed to clear up misunderstood rules, not make them even more misunderstood.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. (Proverbs 17:28)

If anybody can explain to me, in simple terms, that this statement is indeed factual, I'll be pleased to put it back on the list.

While there may indeed be exceptions to the old adage that one can always legally pick up a fumble, I am having a hard time understanding it in this situation.

4-21: A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

The traveling rules state that foot movement not described as legal is illegal (quite the opposite of other rules where anything not listed as illegal is presumed to be legal). The rules then say that a player jumps while holding the ball only has 2 legal options...shoot or pass....before returning to the floor. The fact that they jumped while holding the ball has committed said player to one of those two actions....their options are set when they jump. Landing and picking up the ball is not one of the available options.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 14, 2021 at 03:45pm.