View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2021, 01:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deletion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, (unintentionally) drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s a traveling violation.
Note: Unintentionally added for clarity.

I'm deleting the above statement, that was very recent addition to the list, and not fully peer reviewed.

While it may be true, if I can't explain it to a coach, I'm probably not calling it, and I'm definitively not putting this statement in writing for a list that's supposed to clear up misunderstood rules, not make them even more misunderstood.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. (Proverbs 17:28)

If anybody can explain to me, in simple terms, that this statement is indeed factual, I'll be pleased to put it back on the list.

While there may indeed be exceptions to the old adage that one can always legally pick up a fumble, I am having a hard time understanding it in this situation.

4-21: A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

4.15 Comment: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions. It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

4.15.4 Situation D: While dribbling: (a) A1 bats the ball over the head of an opponent, runs around the opponent, bats the ball to the floor and continues to dribble; (b) the ball bounces away but A1 is able to get to it and continues to dribble; (c) the ball hits A1’s foot and bounces away but A1 is able to overtake and pick it up; or (d) A1 fumbles the ball in ending the dribble so that A1 must run to recover it. Ruling: Violation in (a), because the ball was touched twice by A1’s hand(s) during a dribble, before it touched the floor. In (b), even though the dribble was interrupted it has not ended and A1 may continue the dribble. In (c), the dribble ended when A1 caught the ball; and it ended in (d) when it was fumbled. Even though the dribble has ended in (c) and (d), A1 may recover the ball but may not dribble again. (9-5)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 14, 2021 at 02:15pm.