View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 30, 2021, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Exam Question: Through The Basket From Below ...

#67: During rebounding action, B-5 bats the ball and the ball enters the basket from below and rises above the ring while inside the net. The ball never comes out of the net and then falls back through the basket. The official rules a violation on B-5. Is the official correct?

9-4: A player must not cause (the ball) to enter and pass through the basket from below.

1-10-1: Each basket must consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

9.4 Situation: At A’s basket, the ball enters the net from below and passes through the basket: (a) The officials do not know whether a player of Team A or Team B was responsible; (b) the ball entered the basket after A1’s pass was deflected by B1; or (c) A1 and B1 touched the ball simultaneously before it entered the basket. Ruling:*The ball becomes dead when it enters from below and passes through. In (a) and (c), a throw-in will follow by the team entitled to it under the alternating-possession procedure. In (b), it is A’s ball for a throw-in, as B1 caused the violation.

I say the official was not correct. For this to be a violation, the ball must pass through the basket, the basket is defined as both the the ring and the net, and the question states that the ball is still inside the net, not through the net.

Can anybody please confirm, or deny, my answer.

Not looking to cheat, I've already done my due diligence.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 01, 2021 at 12:19pm.