View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing Wrong With That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In basketball, guys working college ball is often about the opportunity and resume' building than the money. So you might make more working a college game, but you might involve more travel and time away to do that game ...
Same philosophy here in the high school ranks, but obviously, in an entirely different universe. If I have a choice of working a high school game 55 miles away (my longest ride, have to fight John Deere tractors for a parking space), or lower level games just down the street, I'm working the high school game every single time.

Quote:
There are always officials that will take the easy money over the larger opportunity ...
Different priorities. Maybe they see no possibility of advancement to high school varsity games. Maybe they want to stay away from board "politics", confirming games with athletic directors/site directors and partners, business casual dress codes, requirements to stay late to observe varsity games, get there early for pregame conference, check the scorebook, captains/coaches meetings, constructive criticism for other officials, etc. We have more than a few guys who pay their local board dues every year (minimum attendance at meetings, minimum effort on refresher exam, etc.) just to maintain their certification ("members in good standing") allowing them to work their low level games back in their home towns, who block every date on Arbiter with our scholastic assigner, and who never see the inside of a high school gym. Regarding their local low level games, they just want to get in, get out, and get paid, in the least amount of time, with the least amount of (often off court) effort.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that ...
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:02am.