View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One High School Assigner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In high school, we don't have a system where if one high school supervisor wants you to work it automatically supersedes another high school supervisor ... There is not always a equivalency or a correlation to what you do in your little corner of Connecticut.
That for sure. 100% of our high school (70 high schools) varsity, junior varsity, and freshman assignments, as well as many middle school assignments, often scheduled by high school, or systemwide, athletic directors, are assigned by only one single assigner. I've never worked for more than one high school assigner at the same time. Never.

Back when I was younger and wanted to put money in the bank to prepare for three kids going to college, I often worked for three, or four, "mini" assigners (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.). I told all of them that I would have to turn back these low level games if I got a late add on high school game. After a few years one "mini" assigner got sick of my allegiance to my high school assigner and gave me an ultimatum to show up for all of his assignments. I quit working games for him. Cost me some cash, but it was his loss.

My Catholic middle school assigner was the best. He used Arbiter and could "see" my high school schedule and my availability. And it was his rule that high school games took precedence over his Catholic middle school games, even at the last minute. Good basketball, great pay, great partners (most with high school state tournament experience, most games in the next town, or nearby towns. I left the league due to arthritis in my ankle and his retirement, but it was a great experience for over thirty years.

Here in my little sheltered corner of Connecticut, I can't imagine a system of multiple high school assigners, and/or where one high school assigner doesn't automatically supersede another high school assigner.

Always for me. Only one local high school board. Only one local high school assigner. Lower level games (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.) always an afterthought, a "gig". No colleges.

Maybe I could get used to multiple high school assigners, but with the way my brain works it would blow my mind and I would lose sleep worrying about pissing off one of them, some of them, or all or them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 05:05pm.