View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2021, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preventive Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I wouldn't have waited for the NFHS to publish a POE.
The POE and problem in Connecticut happened practically simultaneously. From what I heard through the grapevine, players pretended to clean the soles of their shoes, making it difficult to determine intent. I wonder if Connecticut was one of the states that initiated this POE?

While spitting on the center circle logo pre-POE can certainly be considered unsporting, the POE goes a step further to not even allow the players there to begin with, certainly not (with no spitting) an unsporting act before the POE, but a good example of preventive officiating.

As long as they're in front of their team bench, they can spit and clean their shoes all they want. Hell, they don't even have to clean their shoes. Disgusting, but probably not unsporting or illegal.

Taking out the spitting factor, if officials were to ask players to stay out of the center circle pre-POE, I'm not sure they would have any rule or interpretation backing. Now we do (local, state, or NFHS), and I'm sure that it has prevented some fights or some almost fights.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 07, 2021 at 08:14am.