View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2021, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apple Baskets ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Suppose in 1892, the NFHS put a point of emphasis in the book that said we're seeing way too much unsporting conduct. Please enforce the sportsmanship rules. We want technical fouls called whenever anybody hangs on the peach basket ... In 1893, sportsmanship has improved so they drop it as a point of emphasis. But at least for a while everybody understands that these things are examples of TF for unsporting conduct. Then they get rid of peach baskets.
It was actually Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. who suggested to James Naismith that he no longer use peach baskets because apple baskets were stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
It certainly can be included by judgment, but must it? Billy seems to say yes.
Actually, not necessarily yes. Only if needed (teaching, reference "citation", etc.).

Many old Points or Emphasis don't need to be resurrected, even if proven to still be valid. I would never suggest that every official should research every single Point of Emphasis since 1893.

But if one is aware of a "good" old one (that hasn't been deemed invalid), and has a purpose (teaching, reference "citation", etc.) for using it, then certainly use it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 05, 2021 at 05:17pm.