View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2021, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
As a passive observer, I'd say to you ease up.

Here's the way I understand what Billy is saying.

Suppose in 1892, the NFHS put a point of emphasis in the book that said we're seeing way too much unsporting conduct. Please enforce the sportsmanship rules. We want technical fouls called whenever anybody hangs on the peach basket or if a coach throws down his jacket or if the team gathers at midcourt.

In 1893, sportsmanship has improved so they drop it as a point of emphasis. But at least for a while everybody understands that these things are examples of TF for unsporting conduct.

Then they get rid of peach baskets. So that part doesn't apply anymore.

And then Connecticut issues a regulation about gathering at midcourt.

So the only thing we're left with is wondering, is throwing your jacket still an example of a technical foul and outside of Connecticut is gathering at midcourt still an example of a technical foul. There's no POE anymore; hasn't even been for 128 years; but vets have been telling young'uns to do it. And somewhere MTD has that rulebook ready to produce on demand.

It certainly can be included by judgment, but must it? Billy seems to say yes. I'm not sure what you'd say to that other than you're very angry that Billy says yes so maybe you mean no?
Billy's citation for not gathering at midcourt is same as mine, his state issued guidelines (my state puts it in the clinic every year). But he has spent XXX amount of days telling us the authority we should cite to a coach is a 10-20 POE/Interpretation that is not part of the current publications.

If I'm doing something b/c that's how I interpret it should be done, then I tell the coach or my supervisor exactly that. I don't play word-games or fudge the truth about what's going on. Coaches have access to the rule and case books; I'm not going to blow smoke up their butts.