View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I can see how an official can be faked out. An official who is straight-lined could see both heels coming off the ground and interpret that as the defender moving forward.

Doesn't make the officials call right, but it does explain how these errors can happen when players do things that are not necessary, only to embellish the contact.

In order to correct ourselves as officials, we have to find out why we're making the mistake in the first place.
I do agree with you about being "faked out." I can also see this as well. My point is we do not even give the defenders a slight benefit in many cases. And that is something I try not to do. If I have to split hairs on movement, then I give plays like this to the defense all day long. I think calling charges, in the long run, helps your games. You call this a block, you will have to call many more because not the offensive player never has to think of not getting the call. Call a charge and then they start wondering. So it is more for me than just being "faked out" but what is better for the game. Kind of like calling travel on something that is very hard to tell at full speed.

Peace