View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 19, 2021, 08:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4iI9bGoQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a violation.

A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary. These restrictions apply until the ball is released on the free throw.

In this play, White #14 steps forward and has broken the plane while the ball is still in the hands of the free thrower. After entering the lane too soon, White #14 continues to move toward the free-throw shooter and breaks the free-throw line's plane before the ball hits the ring. Which is also a violation. (9-1-3h)

The Trail should step down toward the end line when the free throw is released and assume all normal rebounding responsibilities. While stepping down, the Trail should continue to monitor the free thrower and other players after the free thrower release the ball. (p. 101 6j,h) In situations such as this, the Trail would also be responsible for ruling on contact between the defender and the free throw shooter as it is possible that both a violation and a foul could occur. This can be a challenging play, as the Trail is also responsible for signaling to start the clock when the ball is legally touched if the ball becomes live after a missed free throw. Officials need to be aware of their responsibilities during free throw attempts and be ready to enforce the rules when fouls and violations occur by players in marked lane spaces.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a violation 75% (including me). This is a violation 25%.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 19, 2021 at 08:32am.