View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 14, 2021, 05:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
CAN or MUST? Big difference.
You are right. We are not responsible for kids that have a concussion.

Quote:
Civil law legal liability.
Yes, no one is going to jail over this unless there is a law saying you must do so and the violation is a criminal statute. Similar to like my profession you can be civilly liable for fraud, but you can be criminally liable as well.

Quote:
Agree. In civil court, anybody can sue anybody for anything at any time. It's the American way. Even if one in the right, one still has to hire an attorney, and billable hours aren't inexpensive.
I am sure the law in Connecticut can be challenged in court, similar to other recent laws passed by state legislation (masks, abortion, voting rights, school choice and legality of who can decide to do these things).

Quote:
I still believe that my State legislature did officials a big favor by relieving officials of all responsibilities regarding concussions, and putting it on the coaches and health care professionals.
OK. Was not disputing anything your state does. Just telling you what our state does.

Quote:
The State law has to (hopefully) carry some weight in civil court.
State laws are overturned by courts all the time. It is based on if the law was written did not violate other legal statutes or precedent. Not a lawyer but I know when the state law was written here, it actually was said to help eliminate our responsibility and put a lot on the schools. Some lawyers asked for us to ask for more detail when a player was to reenter the game to cover themselves more.

Quote:
It was considered a big win for Connecticut officials when it happened several years ago.

"Hey coach. Check number thirty-four. He looks a little wobbly", ends the legal responsibility of Connecticut officials.
Well, then you guys are doing the right thing for you. I live in a much more populated state with many more school districts so we had to do something I am sure to help protect the players that are students from being forced to play without a check-up or playing because they want to hide a possible injury. Either way I am good with what we are asked to do because telling a coach a kid is wobbly is not something I want to tell a coach. And again I do football where head injuries are common. I am cool with what we are asked to do.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Sep 14, 2021 at 05:20pm.