View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 13, 2021, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If Belted Pants Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Wear Belted Pants ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
The better to "pants" the officials on their way out? I gotta learn how this one started.
Remember, my story is about Connecticut and only about Connecticut.

When I started officiating high school basketball over forty years go, most high school officials wore (black) belted pants. Only exceptions were the guys (it was only guys back then) who also worked college games, they usually wore beltless pants in both their college games and high school games (why waste money on two different types of pants). As the years passed by, many high school only officials noticed that the beltless pants looked pretty sharp and started wearing them, and the percentage of high school only officials wearing beltless pants increased year after year. Several years ago IAABO International outlawed belted pants and made beltless pants mandatory (not sure about the NFHS).

Here in little corner of Connecticut, being the rebels that we are, we decided to be outlaws and we still allow (black) belted pants (old dog, new tricks), but always strongly suggest beltless pants to the young'uns.

And no, we don't allow suspenders.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)