View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 12, 2021, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Avocation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They do in other national forums or places where officials do not only come from one place ... Referee Magazine ... Facebook ... where all kinds of officiating rules and mechanics are discussed.
JRutledge is 100% correct. I do not participate in such.

IAABO does a great job presenting us with educational materials (the sole reason for its existence).

I have found the Official Forum to also be a great source of basketball officiating education.

Recently, I've been participating in Greg Austin's great live (and recorded) You Tube presentations. Shout out to Zoochy and Mike Goodwin.

Greg Austin's You Tube presentations speak to a very wide audience, so he always speaks NFHS, and will clarify if something is only statewide, or local (i.e., restrictive arc in Minnesota).

Probably doing more basketball rules study than 95-plus-% of my local colleagues. Probably why I'm one of the "go to" guys when someone has a rules question, and why I'm on the mechanics training committee.

That's enough for me. For me, basketball officiating is an avocation, not a vocation. Hard to believe, but I do have other interests.

Now I have to go out to my chicken coop and collect eggs, after that, the gym for forty minutes. Got a kayak race in a few weeks.

And I haven't read my Sunday newspaper yet. How bad did UCONN lose yesterday against Purdue?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 12, 2021 at 04:37pm.