View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good point.

But there are other ways of becoming good official beside reading current books, like listening to veteran trainers. But you do make a valid point, a point that I believe is shared by JRutlelge, his point also being valid, yet I still disagree with both respected Forum members. I can't (and shouldn't) ignore something that I'm aware of. Inexperienced officials are another story, they don't know what they don't know.
I am a veteran trainer. I'm also someone looked to by multiple supervisors to research rules (NCAA and NFHS) to provide answers to coaches and ADs who send in inquiries. They want references from the CURRENT rules in place.

You DO NOT become a good official by substituting outdated citations for what is currently in place. I tell younger officials all the time to watch out who you listen to. #1 on that list for me are veteran officials who do not keep current on rules and instead go by what they remember reading somewhere in 2013 or whatever year they last decided to study the rules.