View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Didn't want to debate specific examples, but since I've been sucked into this debate black hole, I might as well put in my two cents.

As far as I know, points of emphasis do not have expiration dates, or a statute of limitations, other than rule changes, or interpretation changes (of which there have been none) that invalidate such.

How long did we expect this 2012-13 Contact Above The Shoulders Point Of Emphasis to last? Only one year? Two years? Three years? Until there was a relevant rule change, or interpretation change? How long?
The NF overreacted to the concussion outrage that was going on for a few years in many sports and then addressed something without changing the rule. Not sure how long it was going to last, but it would help if you change the rule or put in language that supports what was stated in the POE or what you intended in the POE. It is not about how long something is to last, but can I now look in the rulebook and see a line about how to address contact above the shoulders?

And again the NCAA addressed this and kept tweaking with rules and philosophies for a few years to get what they are doing now. Their first bite at the apple was really silly and they altered it a few times to make a play not so punitive if the contact was inadvertent.

The NF has put in POEs for Intentional Fouls several times since and never mention any such play with contact above the shoulders. So either the committee was not aware of what they said before or they did not see a need to change the rule for this specific kind of play. That is why I do not call it any differently than I did before that POE in 2012. We have the language that makes sense already to call or not call contact above the shoulders. If you want to highlight a specific situation, then put something in the rulebook or casebook that clears up any confusion.

Peace