View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10.6.1 Situation E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. Ruling: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Is there verbiage in the NFHS rule book that contradicts this ruling?
According to some Forum members, possibly some guarding, or screening, rules, but these rules simultaneously existed when a valid 10.6.1.E was in the casebook.

10.6.1.E goes back to at least 1996-97 (the oldest NFHS Rulebook in my library), so it was a NFHS interpretation for, at least, nine years, not a one hit wonder. 10.6.1.E suddenly disappeared, unannounced, in 2005-06 without any comment from the NFHS. There was no significant change in the rules regarding this situation in 2005-06 (nor have there been significant changes since), nor has there been a replacement casebook situation interpreting this as illegal.

4-23-1: Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent ... Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent.

The rule hasn't changed. The language in the vanished caseplay still matches the rule language: Unless B1 made some effort (extending arm, leg, rolling, etc.) to trip or block A1, B1 is entitled to a position on the court even if B1 is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 09, 2021 at 03:21pm.