View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 06, 2021, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Solution Looking For A Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You know when you the ball goes out of bounds. If you need some help as to the proper direction, ask for that help. But the lead has the line down the sideline and that is hardly an issue most of the time.
Agree. IAABO took a close look at the "most of the time" part of JRutledge's statement, and decided to try to make it better, but only substituted one problem for a different problem, like one of those solutions looking for a problem, but with an equally bad, if not worse, solution.

I wasn't a big fan of the "new" IAABO system when it first came out, am still not a big fan, but it must have some degree of validity or well respected officiating organizations like IAABO (never rescinded its decision after decades) and NASO/Referee (see JRutledge's great post)) wouldn't be proponents.

The fact that the NFHS has stuck with its system for at least forty years tells us that it may be the best officials can do with only two guys on the court.

While I am trying to explain why IAABO changed, sometimes grasping at straws for a rationale, I hope that you guys realize that you're preaching to the choir.

I've been a loyal IAABO member for over forty years, and appreciate what they do regarding basketball official education, but I'm not blind to the fact that they do occasionally make mistakes, and this was one of their biggest mistakes ever. Yes, it was broken, but only slightly broken, and it didn't need fixing, especially when the fix may have made things worse.

While it may appear that I'm trying to defend IAABO from slings and arrows, I'm not, I'm merely trying to explain their rationale for the change. And after all, the NFHS does have some warts, just listen to our respected colleague JRutledge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Two-person coverage is flawed ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 06, 2021 at 04:51pm.