View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 06, 2021, 08:34am
Do not give a damn!!

All I am saying is if when I show the picture, the foul took place, the habitual motion IMO has started.

My understanding the NBA uses the very same standard that is in our rules at the NF and NCAA levels. The NBA might use different language, but if you are fouled and you have stopped dribbling, (the NBA might call it a "gather."), but the line of demarcation is basically the same. If a player is fouled and clearly was going up to shoot the entire time, why split hairs and say it was before the shooting motion?

And yes we may not know for sure, but I think we have some indicators that make this easier if we use them. Of course, a player could pass, but if they do so then they are likely making a motion to pass or trying to pass the ball, which then I will let the player's action dictate what I call. Yes, I know there is a case play that says that should not be a factor, but usually, players that are trying to shoot clearly shoot the ball, or if they can't, we get paid to make those decisions.

All I am saying here is that in the video if the foul took place when the defender reached out, he clearly was in the motion to shoot. If he dribbles again, that is an indication he was not yet trying to shoot when fouled. We can try to be "pure" but that to me leads to inconsistent application.

Peace