View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 02:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Training Committee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... it's still an interesting take worth discussing.
Have served twice on my local board's mechanic training committee and have never taught it any other way, we just teach, "This is your line responsibility, you sound your whistle, you make the call, ask for help it needed, offer help if needed as non-calling official".

But that doesn't mean that we're right. How do other trainers teach this concept?

One thing that I believe that we can all agree upon is that when the ball goes out of bounds, somebody, anybody; line responsibility, or primary coverage area, has to sound a whistle. While a cadence whistle and giving one's partner a chance to do the "right thing", is alright to use, don't wait too long. After that, teamwork should take over, and both officials should, hopefully, not end up pointing in two different directions.

Yet another reason we get paid the big bucks. Officiating high school basketball is tough, especially with only two officials; it takes skill, it takes study, it takes practice, it takes hard work, it takes teamwork. We should all be proud of the outstanding service we provide to student athletes.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 03:17pm.