View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I just have to ask. Is this IAABO coverage for all line coverage or is it just for a ball that is thrown/knocked OOB? If for all parts of line coverage, how does the T know when a player has stepped on the opposite sideline? In my experience, there is NO way the T can see that with any certainty. That line must absolutely be covered by the L to have any chance of getting the call right. In fact, I've had trails call a player OOB across the court like that (not following correct mechanics) while the that player wasn't even close to being OOB.
I traded IAABO mechanics for NFHS mechanics in 2015, so I'm not quite current and will have to wait for someone (like BillyMac, perhaps) to tell us what they do as far as stepping on the line. I do vaguely recall having Trail covering the ball that gets knocked or thrown out. But you're absolutely right, Camron, actual sideline coverage has to come from Lead, who gets wider than usual when necessary (and it's something we cover in pregame, because we work in crews of 2 on occasion here).