View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2021, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not going to lie, I've been known to do this, or at least, to consider doing this, under certain rare circumstances. Sometimes I've may have important urgent issues to discuss with my partner, and/or the table; or more often, due to earlier unsporting behavior, I may not want to speak directly with the head coach. I'll usually work as hard as I can to do it by the book, but sometimes (rarely) I just don't get to the head coach and "settle" for the assistant coach. I just hope that this never comes back to bite me in the butt.

One thing that I will never do under any circumstances is to go digging into team huddles to notify head coaches, the point of my recent posts in this thread.
You think I am ignoring the rule? What is the spirt and intent of the rule as laid out? Do you think it really really matters if the head coach is told personally by the official or do you think it matters if they are simply told? Now if you can find an interpretation that is that specific, I will be waiting patiently. Otherwise if the coach is told by someone and you did your job to inform the team, I really do not see anyone caring. Never told officials that only the head coach can be told something like this. Just like captains can make certain decisions about things, but chances are I am going with what the adult says in those situations.

It is much more important to me to talk with my partners about things near the end of a game that is in question (and not in question) than trying to relay specific information to the coach that they have people that already track that stuff. I guess those that do not like that will have to be upset. But never had a high school supervisor even care about this one way or the other. We have to learn to run the game, not nickel and dime about things that no one is going to realistically know, let alone get upset with you about. High school coaches want explanations when we are not obligated to give them (like when a live ball is going on) and you worried about the specifics of how you tell them timeout situations? Really?

Peace