View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2021, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
OK, I'll give it a shot.

First, check USA RS 13.F.
Since this doesn't meet the criteria for a crash, some might argue for OBS. Since OBS (or not) is a judgment call, it is not protestable.
Unless there is a league bylaw, there is no requirement to slide. I think this would be a legitimate protest on the umpire's misinterpretation.
Moving runners back would have involved an INT call, immediate dead ball, and runners returned to last base touched at the time of the INT. INT (or not) is also a judgment call.

That's what I think.
If the umpire says he judged that the defense player was in the offensive players way but for some reason it wasn't obstruction, then that is a rules misapplication.
Just because something is a judgment call, doesn't mean you can't get it on protest, you just can't get it on protest if the reason for the mistake is judgment. For example, suppose that the defense turns a 1-2-3 double play but the umpire calls the runner at first safe. If he calls the runner at first safe, because he believes the runner beat the throw, then wrong or not, the defense loses their protest. But if he calls the runner safe because he thought the force was off because of the out at home then he loses the protest. It doesn't matter that safe or out at first is a judgment call.

In this play, the conversation with the umpire becomes critical. Suppose that in this league the offense has the rule exactly right. The coach really should pin the umpire down immediately on the judgment elements of the play. Blue, why did you call my runner out?
She didn't slide.
Did you see her to try to avoid the contact?
Yes, but she has to slide.
Okay, well we protest.
At this point, you've established all the judgment elements of the play and any armchair internet forum official can nail the correct call.

And as the defense, in this discussion when they call the runner out for sliding. Blue, you saw that she didn't try to avoid the contact right? Because that judgment gets you the out anyway.

The defenses protest is pretty simple. You misapplied the penalty for what was called.

As to how they interplay: if the losing team is right, then they get to replay the game from that point with the correct adjudication so they both might as well protest both issues.