View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 20, 2021, 11:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Red Sox ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... others that participated in the conversation.
True. Including me.

I wasn't trying to use ChuckElias' annual thread to defend my choice to post a general sports "officiating" fashion thread. One has to do specifically with the single off topic sport (off topic twice, not basketball, not officiating)) of baseball, the other has to do with one specific aspect (fashion) of sports "officiating" in general. Not comparable. It had dawned on me that me posting an off topic thread with an advance warning was similar to, but not exactly the same, as what ChuckElias did many years ago.

For those that may have mild interest or slight curiosity in conflicts between the fashion regulations and guidelines related to sports competition, and athletes (mainly women) being made to feel self-conscious about what they are wearing when competing, here's another recent example of such a conflict. Obviously, don't click on it if you have absolutely no interest in this general sports "officiating" topic, and how the "sausage making" of fashion rules eventually "trickles down" to impact officials and athletes.

Paralympian Olivia Breen Says Official Called Her Shorts "Too Short And Inappropriate"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/olivia-...inappropriate/

Raymond is correct that this issue may have "no business here" in that basketball officials are not usually expected to go around with a tape measure measuring jerseys, shorts, logos, etc. We get off easy by just having to say, "You can't play with that color undershirt", or, "You can't play with that color headband". We get to leave the "sausage making" of basketball fashion rules up to the NFHS, the uniform and equipment manufacturers, and in some cases, the state associations.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 21, 2021 at 02:22pm.