View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 06:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A two second time difference shouldn't be just passed off as, "Sorry Coach, this is a shot clock game". The ten second rule with the language "in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds" is a fundamental basketball rule that hasn't changed in over forty years. It should take more than just a one sentence guideline, "Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8)" (that includes the actual unchanged existing rule citation) to overturn such a fundamental rule. It's an oversight with an unintended consequence, it has to be. Luckily, there are a few different ways to correct it. The NFHS tried to fit a round NCAA peg into a square NFHS hole, with little attention to detail (even JRutledge said that the language was very similar, I say maybe copied, with no regard for differing details and unintended consequences).
When I have a discussion with a coach about when the count starts will likely be one of the first times that has ever happen. So if you have to go through all of that with a coach, it will be a very rare situation, to begin with. Kind of like discussing backcourt rules with coaches who never picked up a rulebook. And they never seem to understand the concept of team control and touching the ball last in the FC and first in the BC even if the ball was knocked away. So again if this is a state-adopted rule I seriously doubt I will have to point out what happens with games in a state that has adopted the rule for all levels (or at least the level we are discussing at the time). Not like we get a ton of cross-over games from each state and I even work in two different states.

Peace