View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 14, 2021, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Addressing Untucked Jerseys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe the shirt came out during play, it is not a dead ball, who cares?
Please don't get me wrong. I would never "stop" the game, at any point, under almost any circumstances (exception: player defiantly pulls out jersey) to address an untucked jersey. In fact, I would even be more conservative than JRutledge and Raymond, not only waiting for dead ball, but rather, waiting for a stopped clock dead ball. Good times for me to address untucked jerseys include when players are lining up for free throws (also a usual time for me to note untucked jerseys as I check for proper player positioning, remember, I often work middle school games), or during lengthy substitutions.

I have been using the friendly, "Do you want to look like a basketball player?" line in my middle school games over the past three years. It seems to draw a more positive attitude and response than if I just say, "Tuck in your jersey" in an authoritarian manner. With middle school girls, I will usually followup with, "Now you look like a UCONN player", which, here in Connecticut, usually draws a smile. Boys, for whatever reason, maybe boys being boys, trying to act cool, never smile.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 06:55pm.