View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 11, 2021, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No I In Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
More relevant: Rule 4-5-4 deals with officials permitting a team to go the wrong way. Rule 2-10 deals with a player attempting a free throw at the wrong basket. That's a distinction between the collective and the individual, even if both are as a result of an official's error.
While I appreciate Mike Goodwin's thoughtful explanation, I really don't think that we want to open up that can of worms.

Ignoring 4-5 for free throws at the wrong basket (individual instead of collective) can lead to an uncorrected error (too late) that ends up with the points (if any) counting for the team that "owns" the basket (not the shooter's team), something viewed with utter disgust by Camron Rust, bob jenkins, and yours truly.

However, that may be a "real game" disgust, not a written exam, rule based, disgust.

Of course, if any Forum members, or the NFHS, believe that free throws at the wrong basket actually can lead to an uncorrected error (too late) that ends up with the points (if any) counting for the team that "owns" the basket (not the shooter's team), then Mike Goodwin's view that attempting a free throw at the wrong basket should be listed as a correctable error makes a whole lot of sense.

Also, for simplicity's sake, I chose a situation involving shooting free throws for a technical (individual shooter) foul (something that we're always warned not to do). I could have made it free throws with rebounders present, which eliminates the distinction between the collective and the individual.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 11, 2021 at 12:57pm.