View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 11, 2021, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Some food for thought (nom, nom, nom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've had time to sleep on this, as we all have.

Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket will not impact the score, nor will it possibly impact the result of the game.

Bottom line: Why is attempting a free throw at the wrong basket listed as a correctable error? What's the rationale for this part of the rule?

An enquiring little mind in a little corner of Connecticut wants to know.
Ok, ponder these, BillyMac:

Even in accordance with Rule 1, I'd believe that no two ends of any basketball court are completely identical, so an attempt by a player at one end wouldn't necessarily result in a successful free throw at the opposite end, given identical actions by the thrower. That'd my best guess at why the rules committee would want the throw(s) re-administered at the proper end, if correctable. You want the points? Under certain correctable circumstances: earn them in your own basket.

More relevant:

Rule 4-5-4 deals with officials permitting a team to go the wrong way. Rule 2-10 deals with a player attempting a free throw at the wrong basket. That's a distinction between the collective and the individual, even if both are as a result of an official's error.

Case book 5.2.1 Situation E: "During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested basket.

Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. Allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction is an official's error and not a correctable error, as in Rule 2-10 (4-5-4)"

Case book 5.2.1 Situation F, similarly: "During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent's basket.

All points are scored are count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score it its own basket (4-5-4)."

While Situation E apparently lasts a brief time, Situation F has play continue for a while, but does not mention the existence of any free throws, which lends support to applying 4-5-4 for this type of play, rather having it considered an error as in 2-10.

And that's my 2¢ for a Saturday night in the land of the Midnight Sun.