View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 10, 2021, 10:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Is Attempting A Free Throw At The Wrong Basket A Correctable Error ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Two technical foul free throws ... at the wrong basket.
Quote:
4-5: A team’s own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball. If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed must count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play must resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.
Quote:
Do we have conflicting rules here? A hard way to handle the problem (correctable error), and an easy way to handle the problem (4-5)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Follow both rules -- correct it if you can; don't if you can't.
Quote:
With 4-5 saying to count the points for the team that shot the free throws, why is "attempting a free throw at the wrong basket" considered to be a correctable error if it doesn't have to be corrected?
I've had time to sleep on this, as we all have.

While I like bob jenkins' idea on how to handle seemingly conflicting rules, I still want to know why "attempting a free throw at the wrong basket" is listed as a correctable error if it doesn't have to be corrected according to 4-5.

The correctable error rule is the only way to right five listed wrongs: Failure to award a merited free throw. Awarding an unmerited free throw. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw. Erroneously counting a score. Erroneously canceling a score.

All five listed errors will impact the score, and possibly impact the result of the game, if not "righted" (some free throw shooters are better than others).

Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket will not impact the score, nor will it possibly impact the result of the game.

According to 4-5, attempting a free throw at the wrong basket doesn't have to be "righted". The points (if any) count for the team that shot the free throws.

Wrong basket? Embarrassing? Yes. But who cares? Nobody was "cheated" out of possible points. Nobody gained an advantage, or was put at a disadvantage, due to a "mistake".

Just make sure that we resume play by being sure that the players are going the right way ("two wrongs don't make a right").

Sure, if these free throws were treated as any other "wrong way" (player's mistake) basket, with points counting for the team that "owns" the basket, then we would certainly need attempting a free throw at the wrong basket listed as a correctable error, but these points don't count for the team that "owns" the basket, 4-5 tells us the points count for the team that shoots the free throws.

Bottom line: Why is attempting a free throw at the wrong basket listed as a correctable error? What's the rationale for this part of the rule?

An enquiring little mind in a little corner of Connecticut wants to know.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 10, 2021 at 05:07pm.