View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I, Robot (Isaac Asimov, 1950) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... one has to admit that his signal ... is as smooth as silk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is an art and a science to what we do ...
I've been to a lot of rodeos, and over the many years I've noted that high school basketball officiating has become more and more of a science, and less and less of an art.

In a lot of ways that's a good thing. Over the past forty years high school basketball officiating has very much improved, mainly because the teaching of high school basketball officiating has very much improved, especially with the use of technology (video).

But I agree with JRutledge regarding basketball officials becoming a bunch of robots. Officiating should leave some room for different personalities and mannerisms.

However, regarding such seemingly insignificant things as fist/open hands, finger point/open palm point, etc., it's important that rookies get off to a good start and are initially taught the "correct way" by instructors, maybe with a few reminders from mentors during early career observations (fix it early, it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks, thus my fist blocks), but always noting that these are minor issues compared to the stuff that really matters, stuff like calling and managing the game, and being a good partner.

If an instructor has three choices, the right way, the wrong way, or don't teach either way, why would an instructor chose anything but the right way?

Who is the best to work a state final? JRutledge with fist blocks and finger points? Or the exact same JRutledge but with open hand blocks and open palm points? Who will be the best role model for young officials who are looking for a top notch official to emulate?

Who is the best to work a state final? An official who can quote verbatim all the rules, mechanics, and signals but doesn't know if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated? Or an official, maybe with some warts, who actually knows the game, and can call and manage a game, any game, no matter how difficult, getting almost all, if not all, of the calls right, and who is a good partner?

Yes Mr. Barkley, I agree that you may not be a role model, and that you shouldn't have to be a role model, but just because you say it doesn't mean that some won't still view you as a role model, so please try to be your best as much as possible. It is what it is, a tough yoke to bear. With great privilege comes great responsibility.

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called. (Ephesians 4:1)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 02:51pm.