View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...kOk89aDg%3D%3D

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is offense initiated contact and should have been ruled a foul.

Officials have made great strides in recent years of applying rule 10-7-12 and penalizing illegal contact committed on ball handlers. However, officials still have a significant opportunity to improve penalizing illegal contact committed by ball handlers. In this play, we have two very good examples of dribblers illegally contacting defenders. At 0:03 of the clip, As dribbler Blue #5 slows down to look to pass the ball to a teammate, she extends her left arm into the torso of White #22. The contact displaces White 22 and momentarily creates space between the offensive and defensive player. At 0:08, Blue #12 dribbles toward the lane and extends her right arm into the torso of White #2. This contact also displaces her opponent. Nearly 80% of respondents would have correctly ruled a player control foul on the ball handlers in this play. (10-7-3, 10-7-5, 4-19-6)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is offense initiated contact and should have been ruled a foul 80% (including me). This is incidental contact - no foul 20%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 03, 2021 at 01:07pm.