View Single Post
Old Sat May 29, 2021, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Cut That Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The first contact *might* have been incidental -- contact was made, but the defense was already backing up and wasn't further displaced; it's more of a "matching" call (if the crew has called this contact before, get it here, if this contact has been allowed, let it go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The first contact appears to be incidental, as the defender's RSBQ is not affected, and it is unclear whether the offensive player's arm is extended.
Agree that the first contact was "iffy". I'm real big on not allowing a dribbler to use the non-dribbling arm to intentionally make contact and ward off a defender. It almost always provides the dribbler with some type of a slight, but still illegal, advantage, like preventing a reach-in attempt at a steal, adding some slight extra layer of illegal protection for the ball. If I decide to pass on a player control foul in this scenario, at the next opportunity I will usually advise such a dribbler to, "Cut it out".

In forty years of working middle school games, especially "junior varsity" middle school games, I've heard a lot of coaches complain that dribblers can't intentionally hold out their non-dribbling arm to ward off a defender and to protect the ball, to which I've replied, "Yes they can, until the dribbler intentionally contacts the defender, or the defender illegally contacts the dribbler. No contact, no foul".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 30, 2021 at 11:49am.