View Single Post
Old Fri May 21, 2021, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why do you think the rule is stupid?
How about some clarification for these two slightly confusing, seemingly somewhat inconsistent/incongruent interpretations (with their corresponding rules), allowing us to make confident adjudications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
5.2.1 Situation C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. RULING: In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line. In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.
Quote:
4.41.4 - Situation B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket. Ruling: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)
And then some guidance as to how we can use this somewhat confusing interpretation and the corresponding rule (when a try is not a try but counts as a try) to confidently handle alley-oop "horns"; and alley-oop "goaltending".

Quote:
5.2.1 Situation: With 2:45 left in the second quarter, B1 has the ball on the left wing in Team B’s frontcourt, standing behind the three point arc. B5 makes a back door cut toward the basket. B1 passes the bail toward the ring and B5 leaps for the potential alley-oop dunk. The ball, however, enters and passes through the goal directly from B1’s pass and is not touched by B5. Ruling: Score three points for Team B. A ball that is thrown into the goal from behind the three point arc in the frontcourt scores three points, regardless of whether the thrown ball was an actual try for goal.
And then follow that with a dash of clarification to allow us to confidently handle the rare as hen's teeth teammate deflection after an actual try, or alley-oop pass (both on the way up), all from behind the the three point arc, that ends up entering the basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What change would you make so it's less stupid, in your view?
Until I'm confident in understanding exactly what the NFHS wants us to do in all the situations discussed in this interesting and fun thread, I have absolutely no idea what to suggest regarding changes to the improve rule language.

Forum members are welcome to try. As my high school physical education teacher, Mr. Johnson, used to say after throwing a few basketballs out onto the gym floor, "Go at it guys".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 22, 2021 at 07:22am.