View Single Post
Old Wed May 19, 2021, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Treated As A Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
With 0:04 left in the second quarter, B1 has the ball on the left wing in Team B’s frontcourt, standing behind the three point arc. B5 makes a back door cut toward the basket. B1 passes the ball toward the ring and B5 leaps for the potential alley-oop dunk. The horn to end the period sounds before the ball enters and passes through the goal directly from B1’s pass and is not touched by B5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
This is a 3-point try ...
No it isn't. It's a pass (it says as such in the interpretation that I slightly modified). It's just treated as a try for the purpose of determining two or three points (not requiring judgment as to whether the ball in flight was a pass or a try).

This is a real rule language try. 4-41-2: A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal.

It doesn't say that a try is an attempt to pass the ball to a teammate. Attempting to throw for goal is not the same as attempting to pass the ball to a teammate.

I also believe (by purpose and intent) that this same 2001-02 clarification allows us to treat a last second ally-oop pass (as we've been discussing) the enters the basket untouched after the horn sounds to count, in this case, as three points.

But that is just my humble opinion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 19, 2021 at 04:03pm.