View Single Post
Old Thu May 13, 2021, 02:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Rule 3-5-4e was added to allow players to wear head coverings for religious reasons without obtaining state association approval. The head covering shall not be made of abrasive or hard materials and must be attached so that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
The rule change allowing head coverings for religious reasons without state-level approval is a good idea in that it removes extra paperwork and the potential gotchas if a team never got that approval and suddenly found the rule strictly enforced -- especially in the post season (which I want to say actually happened somewhere within the past few seasons).
Connecticut has already been doing this for the past few years. Allow the player to play that night. Suggest the coach or athletic director contact the state association. Next game: Allow the player to play that night. Suggest the coach or athletic director contact the state association. Next game: Allow the player to play that night. Suggest the coach or athletic director contact the state association. Rinse and repeat all season long, especially through the state tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The official signals were also modified to use the same hand signal for a player control foul and a team control foul. Officials should use Signal 36, which is a hand placed at the back of the head, for both types of fouls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I like and prefer the punch for offensive fouls more than the PC signal. That said, I'm willing to bet that the NFHS decision is based on NCAA-M adopting the same signal for all PC & TC fouls. For better or worse, a number of changes from NCAA-M tend to trickle down at some point to the NFHS level.
It's the Wild Wild West here in my little corner of Connecticut where we have more player control foul signals than Carter has Little Liver Pills. Many use some form of the "fist punch" for a player control foul signal. For that reason I was hoping that the NFHS would go to the "fist punch" as the combined player/team control foul signal.

Now, with the signal change, I can't wait to see what signals Connecticut officials use for player control fouls and team control fouls next year.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 13, 2021 at 03:05pm.