View Single Post
Old Sat May 08, 2021, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mental Block ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I liked your phrasing: "didn't take the train anywhere"---I may use that one!
Please don't take that as a general statement from me. My statement was not meant to imply advantage/disadvantage, it was only meant for this specific video, an awkward move that seemed odd to me, somewhat east/west with the swing through.

Even knowing that it was a travel, when I watched the video over and over in a "not knowing ahead of time mode", I often missed the travel, for some reason this specific play was some type of a mental block for me.

Like I said earlier, I'm normally very good identifying a pivot foot and spotting ball handlers picking up their pivot foot before releasing the ball to start a dribble, and will always call it when see it, not considering advantage/disadvantage for travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Often ignored/missed.
I didn't ignore it (advantage/disadvantage), I often missed it during these over and over replays.

I do not consider advantage/disadvantage in adjudicating travel plays.

For some odd reason, whatever reason, in real time "not knowing ahead of time mode", this was somewhat difficult for me.

Maybe because his swing through ended in a left handed move despite the defender pretty much having that side (the endlne) cut off?

And I usually don't guess on travel plays, if I identify the pivot foot and see something illegal, I call it, if not, I usually don't guess, and often leave it alone.

If you are not sure, don’t call it. "Funny looking" isn't always illegal (but in this case it was illegal).

Speaking of funny looking, where's Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. been?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 08, 2021 at 12:19pm.