View Single Post
Old Thu May 06, 2021, 09:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO Play Commentary

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...DgWWEYgxBK.mp4

Correct Answer: This is a traveling violation.

As White #31 receives the pass, he establishes his right foot as the pivot foot when he steps with his left foot. He lifts his right foot (the pivot foot) off the floor before releasing the ball to start the dribble. This is a traveling violation. (4-44-3c)

The key to getting this play right is seeing the whole play and having an angle where you can see the pivot foot and when the ball is released to start the dribble. If we were the Trail official and had this camera angle view of the play, it is difficult to know when the ball was released related to the pivot being lifted.

This play happens to occur on strongside of the court and opens up toward the Lead official. The Lead has good depth (as much as this gym provides) off the endline and appears to have a good view of the play.

With the ball handler closely guarded, we officials often focus our attention on the torso area to observe potential contact between the offensive and defensive players. Officials should strive to identify the pivot foot of ball handlers in their PCA as they receive the ball or end a dribble. This will help get this play right.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a traveling violation 58% (including me). This is not a traveling violation 42%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)