View Single Post
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 08:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...6zRZIhDQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary

Correct Answer: This is a good block and there is no foul on the play.

It is difficult to be sure if a foul was committed on this play based on the camera angle we have. 80% of respondents answered believe there was no foul on the play.

More importantly than the ruling on the contact is the approach of the Lead official to position adjust to get an angle to make the ruling. This is a great example of an IAABO approved floor mechanic. If it is not possible to be ahead of the play, the Lead should attempt to get an open look by “trailing the play” on potential contact situations in transition. (Manual p. 34) The Lead in this play quickly recognizes how the play is developing and slows down and ends up with a pretty good angle from behind the play to make the ruling. His view may have been obstructed a little by the ring as the defensive player attempted to block the shot, but his approach to positioning gave him the best angle available to him on this play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a good block and there is no foul on the play 77% (including me). The ruling of a foul is correct 23%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)