View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
- A star high school, or college basketball player, with a name recognized and well known in the state.

- Originally from the local area, with a social, or professional, network already in place.

It wouldn't be with a bullet, but I probably would have moved up the ladder a little faster if I hadn't moved all the way across the state before I became an official; away from my high school and college friends, several who became basketball officials. When I first started, I could count the people that I already knew on my local board on the fingers of one hand.
This was me. I knew everyone back home and was already getting varsity games in my local area after 5 years, this was back in 1991. Once I moved and didn't know anybody, I virtually had to start all over.

This was back when most of the AD's scheduled their own officials and I was the new young punk who wanted to move up too fast and needed to learn his place.