View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 11:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Eye On The Prize ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
...would you apply to work at a job with an uncertain promotion rate and pays you in $100s while another job with similar skills is giving anyone with a modicum of interest and talent $1000s?
For me, probably not. But some people like "pie in the sky" challenges, especially those with well paying day jobs, or those who have a spouse with a well paying day job, so they are free to chase their "side job" dreams without fear of financial hardships.

As has already been well covered in this thread, a lot of components go into one choosing a career, or side job (like officiating), with money and ease of advancement being only one of many components.

As I was about to graduate (B.S.) from college, I was highly recruited by two major oil corporations to work as a petroleum geologist (they were so desperate for geologists that recruiters actually came to our college). Lots of money was offered, but I would have to move from New England to either Alaska, or Louisiana.

Instead I chose to become a science teacher, at a time when there was an overabundance of teachers and an underabundance of teaching jobs (out of literally several dozen resumes mailed out, I only got six interviews (four interviewers didn't actually have any open positions at the time, they just wanted to meet with me because I graduated magna cum laude and they wanted to keep me on their radar in case an opening became available, one wanted me to go to summer school to add chemistry to my certification so that I could teach high school chemistry and coach basketball and baseball), and only two job offers, both less than ideal. And this was at a time when Connecticut teachers were grossly underpaid (I had to work summer and part-time jobs during the first twenty-five years that I taught).

There are too many reasons for me to detail all the reasons why I chose a teaching career instead of a much more lucrative career with an easier path to get a job and advance in the petroleum industry, but I obviously didn't chose teaching because of the money or the guarantee of getting a job.

Since junior high school, I always wanted to be a science teacher (but I admit that I was tempted to become a geologist by the easy money and an easy job waiting for me after graduation).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 03, 2021 at 12:18pm.