View Single Post
Old Sat May 01, 2021, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yeah, three seconds is a low priority call. Officials often kid that if three seconds was one's toughest call in a game, then one had a very easy game.

If you're referring to the "Fun With Legal Guarding Position" thread, that was a subjective judgment, somewhat challenging call for some, a call that at least one Forum member questioned.
I am, but I think you may be overstating how much disagreement there was. Mechanic guy said he got it wrong on the first look but then saw that it was a PC. I believe all other interesting discussion was about whether or not we should just guess if we didn't see something happen.
I agree that all block charges are subjective; but I don't agree it was close for officials who were voting after seeing a replay (potentially many times). If almost 1 in 4 officials thinks that's a charge after multiple views then I think IAABO has a problem. I'd note that these are officials doing the work to get better because they are looking at plays and commenting. My instinct is the number would be even worse among those who didn't take the poll.
As an impact to the game matter, not knowing the 3 second rule correctly and missing this call is pretty low. Missing block charges tends to be higher impact mistakes.
If I were basketball czar for a day, I'd change the rules test to be watching 100 videos like these and grade officials on that and videos like this one would be a small portion and videos like the other a large portion.