View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2021, 08:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...av7d5ing%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary

Correct Answer: The count should not be suspended and the ruling is correct.

Red #44 receives a pass in the lane, dribbles one time, then passes to a teammate Red #12. Red #44 remains in the lane as Red #12 advances the ball toward the basket.

Should the officials suspend the count on Red #44 while Red #12 is making a move toward the basket? The answer is no.

Allowance must be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for a field goal. (9-7-3) In other words, officials may only suspend the count on a player with the ball who is in the lane and making a move toward the basket.

In this play, Red #44 was in the lane for 3-seconds as her teammate was entering the lane with the ball. By rule, this is a 3-second violation and was correctly ruled by the Center official. Had the Red team released the ball on a try before Red #44 had been in the lane for 3-seconds, officials would terminate the count.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The count should not be suspended and the ruling is correct 83% (including me). The count should have been suspended 17%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)