View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes you did, a logical comment that is worth exploring.

But in earlier posts you said something different, commenting that there was "no" contact "in any way".

Big differences between no contact, incidental contact contact that doesn't warrant a foul, and illegal contact that does warrant a foul.

If there was some contact (as some of JRutledge's later posts implied), as shown in the video with some thoughtful study, we can move on to discussing if it was incidental contact contact that doesn't warrant a foul, or illegal contact that does warrant a foul, subjective judgment calls that are always worth discussing and debating in an educational manner. But if one believes that there wasn't any contact (as in JRutledge's early post), one can't discuss and debate illegal/incidental.

One (not necessarily JRutledge) can't say "if there was contact" and speculate about illegal/incidental, because one didn't see the contact, so how can one form a logical opinion regarding the legality of contact that one never observed.

Words matter.
Once again, you are mostly arguing with yourself. I do not see anything in the video that confirms or denies any foul either way. Again this is coming from a person that only works 2 person and never worked the playoffs, trying to tell me what should or should not be called on a video he was not on or did not speak to the official at hand. And again Rule 4-27 did not magically go away. And there is no rule that supports all contact with the neck and head area that says we must call those fouls. No rule whatsoever. Not a single one. Even the POE did not address all the kinds of contact that every other level feels is incidental. So again I stand by what I stated because this is not a very good video to evaluate if the official was in good position at the time of contact. Honestly, it looks like that official saw the extension and called something but we cannot tell if that contact displaced the opponent (which the rules kind of require) or put them at a disadvantage in any way. Again, the angle is horrible. I do not see separation (angle again) created by the so-called contact that I would warrant a foul. Even the attempt of a push-off is not a foul. See these all the time and pass because the defender is still in place to defend the ball handler.

Either way, it does not matter, just giving a perspective on what I saw. Not the authority or the final word. I do not work for IAABO and definitely not hanging on every word they state about this play. Good for discussion because you can examine things like positioning, angles, philosophy and mechanics, with multiple different positions.

Peace