View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 16, 2021, 09:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...OEzzyTtQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: The Lead should expand his coverage area and rule and illegal screen..

This is an illegal screen. The screener has a stance wider than shoulder-width, was still moving, and did not give the opponent the time and distance needed when screening a player outside their visual field. (4-40-2c, 2d, 4-40-5)

These types of high post screens can pose a challenge to a 2-person crew. When the ball was passed to the sideline, the Trail official properly maintained focus on the ball handler/defender match-up near the sideline. In this situation, the Lead official needs to quickly assess where the competitive match-ups are on the court and determine where the greatest need is during the possession. In this case, the only other engaged competitive match-up at this moment (other than the ball handler/defender) was this screening situation.

Even though the screen technically occurs in the Trail's primary coverage area (PCA), officials must be willing to assist the partner in ruling on “off-ball” contact in the secondary/expanded coverage area (SCA) when the ball is in the partner’s PCA. (IAABO manual p. 20 Section 6.d) On this play, we encourage the Lead to expand their coverage and look "outside their area" to rule this illegal off-ball contact.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The Lead should expand his coverage area and rule and illegal screen 89% (including me). The Lead should not expand his coverage area and make a ruling on this play 11%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)