View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question Ok, sooooo...

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. Over the years, I was taught to ALWAYS call BR OUT! since it is CLEAR (to me) that he is OUT if 1B is occupied with less than 2 outs. This mechanic has been taught at three different clinics I attended.
...do you declare the batter OUT on every caught 3rd strike as well? After all, the batter is out then too, isn't he?

Why do you call it differently just because 1st base is occupied and the third strike is uncaught? Why suddenly verbalize THAT out call, when you don't normally verbalize an out in any other 3rd strike situation where the batter doesn't become a runner?

The only reason must be in order to alert the defense that they don't have to make a play at 1st on the BR. That is NOT the umpire's responsibility. Rich calls it preventative umpiring. I call it unjustified interference in the game process. The umpire is not a participant. It is the same principle as not advising anyone of a batting out of order situation. The rules require vigilance from the participants.

Maybe we'll end up having to A2D, but I would feel I had let you down if I didn't at least try to explain the justification for my position on the matter. BTW, I can find no reference to a requirement to verbalize "Batter is OUT" on a dropped 3rd strike anywhere in the UDP Manual for the Two Umpire System or in the PBUC/NAPBL Umpire Manual.

Hope this helps

Cheers