View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2021, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Torso Rule Of Thumb ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Going frame by frame, it appears the second foot is placed on the floor just before the displacement occurs. (But it is extremely close!!)
I went back and watched the video at 1/4 speed (only available to IAABO members). It's as close as close can be. Second foot may have contacted the floor at the exact same time (give or take a millisecond) as the initial contact.

Not sure why IAABO talks about the "displacement" and not the initial contact, displacement follows the initial contact (also by milliseconds). Something Isaac Newton may have discovered (my high school physics teacher, baseball coach, and basketball coach, Mr. Letize, would be very disappointed in me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It is important to note because there was displacement involved, a foul has occurred, and there needs to be a whistle on this play. A legendary IAABO Clinician once said when you see an offensive player contact a defender in the torso, if you give the benefit of the doubt to the defensive player, you will be right 90% of the time. Probably good advice.
Since we have to put a whistle on this, and it's too close to call using the actual legal guarding position rule, I guess it's best to use the "legendary IAABO clinician torso rule of thumb" and go with a player control foul here.

Nice call JRutledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a PC foul all the way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 08, 2021 at 10:41am.